Dermal fillers are FDA-approved safe and effective way to get you back to looking your best. Dermal fillers are injected under the skin to help with restoring loss volume, reduce wrinkles and giving you a more youthful appearance.
Radiant Beauty Med Spa uses RADIESSEⓇ, RestylaneⓇ family of fillers ( Restylane®, Restylane® Lyft, Restylane® Silk, Restylane® Refyne, and Restylane® Defyne), Bellafill® and Belotero® filler treatments, also known as injectable cosmetic dermal fillers to restore volume and diminish the appearance of lines. Young, healthy skin naturally contains a substance called hyaluronic acid, which we lose as we age. Injectable hyaluronic acid gel fillers are used to naturally restore volume loss and minimize the appearance of lines
Unlike BOTOX® Cosmetic, dermal fillers do not affect muscle activity. Instead, these injectable products enhance appearance by adding volume. Volume loss occurs in the aging face. Volume loss can be as responsible for an aged appearance as skin laxity. In fact, soft tissue volume loss contributes to skin laxity. Rather than routinely tightening loose and wrinkled skin, adding volume often avoids, or at least postpones, the need for more invasive procedures. With a variety of fillers to choose from, an injector can soften facial folds and wrinkles, augment the lips and cheeks, enhance facial contours, and even improve scars.
What is a dermal filler?
A dermal filler is a treatment that helps to restore age-related volume loss and reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
Young healthy skin contains an abundance of a substance called hyaluronic acid. Due to age, sun exposure, and other environmental factors, we lose hyaluronic acid over time.
This causes loss of volume and structural support and can cause skin to appear saggier than when one is young. A dermal filler is a hyaluronic acid gel filler that is used to restore volume loss and diminish the appearance of wrinkles or hollows in the face.
What are some benefits of using dermal fillers?
Dermal fillers are used to restore volume loss and diminish the appearance of lines.
The result of a single treatment can be seen instantly in most of the dermal fillers and can last for around 6 months to over a year depending on the kind of dermal filler used. As your face changes over time, dermal fillers allow you to control your looks subtly as you age.
This may include:
- Volume loss in the cheek due to aging
- Laugh lines or “parentheses” around the mouth
- Tear trough under the eyes
- Lip enhancement
- “Smokers lines” around the mouth
- Marionette lines down from the corners of the mouth
- Acne or other facial scars
Which Areas can be Treated?
Dermal filler treatments are used to smooth away facial lines and wrinkles, create fuller lips and shape facial contours, such as cheeks and chin, and revitalize the skin.
The most common areas treated are:
- Nasolabial folds (lines between the nose and corner of the mouth)
- Marionette lines (from the corner of the mouth downwards)
- Lips (Enhance the shape, definition, and volume of lips)
- Hands fillers
- Acne Scars
And many other areas not listed here. Your injector will discuss with you in detail during the consultation about the best areas to inject dermal fillers in to give you a more youthful and attractive look.
How soon can I see results?
You will see results immediately. However, the true results will be seen about two weeks later, after the filler has settled in and any bruising has resolved.
What does preparation for dermal fillers entail?
- Do NOT consume alcoholic beverages at least 24 hours prior to treatment (alcohol may thin the blood and increase the risk of bruising)
- Avoid anti-inflammatory/blood thinning medications, if possible for a period of 2 weeks before treatment. Medications and supplements such as aspirin, vitamin E, ginkgo biloba, ginseng, St. John’s Wort, Omega 3/Fish Oil supplements, Ibuprofen, Motrin, Advil, Aleve and other NSAIDS have a blood thinning effect and can increase the risk of bruising and swelling after injections.
- Schedule your Dermal Filler appointment at least 2 weeks prior to a special event which you may be attending, such as a wedding or a vacation. Final results from the Dermal Filler injections might take approximately 4 to 7 days to appear. Also bruising and swelling may be apparent in that time period.
- Discontinue Retin-A 2 days before and 2 days after treatment.
- Reschedule your appointment at least 24 hours in advance if you have a rash, cold sore or blemish on the area.
- If you have a history of cold sores please let your provider know, they may put you on an anti-viral medication prior to treatment.
- Be sure to have a good breakfast, including food and drink before your procedure. This will decrease the chances of lightheadedness during your treatment.
- You are not a candidate if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
- Avoid significant movement or massage of the treated area. Unless instructed by the provider.
- Avoid strenuous exercise for 24 hours.
- Avoid extensive sun or heat for 72 hours.
- Avoid consuming excess amounts of alcohol or salts to avoid excess swelling.
- If you have swelling you may apply a cool compress for 15 minutes each hour.
- Use Tylenol for discomfort.
- Try to sleep face up and slightly elevated if you experience swelling.
- Take Arnica to help the bruising and swelling, start at least 2 days prior to injections.
Are There any Risks with Dermal Fillers?
Product-related reactions are rare. There are some injection-related reactions which may occur after any injection including redness, swelling, pain, itching, bruising or tenderness at the injection site.
After lip enhancement, some swelling is likely for a several days.
Ruste Carter is experienced in dermal fillers injections, she uses blunt-ended microcannula in most dermal filler injections which decrease bruises and complications dramatically. The choice between using a needle or blunt ended micro cannula depends on the area injected